Suitable to freeze
Store covered in fridge (under 5°C)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup untoasted muesli or rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 3 teaspoons margarine, mono- or poly- unsaturated
extra reduced fat milk,
1. Combine the flour, muesli and spice in a bowl, then make a hollow in the middle.
2. Add the egg and honey to the hollow and, using a wooden spoon, gradually beat in the milk. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, if possible, to soften the flour and muesli (or oats). The mixture should be the consistency of a thick batter and depending on the muesli used, you may need to stir in a little more milk.
3. Heat one teaspoon of the margarine in a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Use a large spoonful of the batter for each pancake, and cook the pancakes in batches, adding a little margarine to the pan as needed.
4. Cook the pancakes until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes for each side. Keep the cooked pancakes warm on a plate covered with a clean dry tea towel until you are ready to serve them.
Serve with sliced fresh bananas, kiwifruit, strawberries, raspberries or blueberries. Add plain or fruit yoghurt then drizzle with a little maple syrup or warm honey. For variety serve with orange and grapefruit salsa.
If you prepare food for people with an allergy to nuts and seeds, please check labels carefully for ingredients.
Source: Lifetrack (1999), Eat! Enjoy! The Lifetrack cookbook, Melbourne.